Saturday, January 22, 2011

Potty Training

With all of the upcoming transistion that we thought we would be experiencing, I have been delaying potty training for months. I had excuse after excuse after excuse.  Really, I think I just didn't want to have to deal with it(how's that for great parenting)!  After finding out that Shane would no longer be a recruiter and we would be staying in San Diego for at least a few more months, I pretty much ran out of excuses.  Blake has been ready to potty train for at least a few months, now Mommy and Daddy needed to get on board.  Like anything else in parenting there are just way to many choices and decisions to make.  It's potty training how many different ways can there be?  I won't even go into but if you really want to know, just google it :)  Oh and I forgot, it's not potty training anymore it's potty learning!  WHAT??? really, are people so sensitive that they feel like you are referring to your child as an animal if you say potty training.  So after googling potty training techniques and then not reading anything that came up because it was just too much, I went the old fashioned way and actually asked my mommy friends what worked for them.  I took a combination of what they told me and came up with a plan. 

We have potty seats in each bathroom for the toilet and a potty chair that is currently residing in my living room.  Yeah, gross but hey, you do what you have to.  Blake doesn't get excited enough about stickers to do a sticker chart, he thinks stickers are for ripping into tiny pieces to see where he can stick them all.  So I went to the dollar store and bought a clear container(with a lid) and filled it up with candy.  One piece for pee, two for poop.  Starting last weekend, we told him that when Daddy went back to work(which was Tuesday) he wasn't going to be wearing diapers anymore.  We talked about it alot that weekend.  Tuesday morning came, and off came the diaper.  Blake was allowed to run around our house naked from the waist down.  We even went to a Krispy Kreme tour that morning in underwear and no accidents.  Could it really be this easy? 
We have had a few poop accidents which all of my friends prepared me for.  Don't know what the kids are afraid of when pooping in the toilet but it is a hard concept to get.  We have had a few poop accidents in the underwear, but I cloth diaper so cleaning out poop is not a big deal for me anymore.  We have not had any pee accidents, but we have had a few pee on stuff on purpose.  Yesterday he decided to see what it would be like to pee on his train tracks that were in the drawer under his train table.  Hey, there are bound to be bumps in the road. 
We are only in underwear during the day, pull ups for nap and diaper at night.  However, my big boy woke up this morning with a dry diaper and then went and sat on the potty.  We now have to graduate to wearing underwear around the house and getting him to pull them down and go.  One step at a time but I think over all this has been a successful week.  My baby boy is growing up.

I think I have realized too that as long as I am mentally prepared for the task at hand, it won't be nearly as traumatic as I imagine.  On that note, Bring on the Sleep Training for Kaelyn(more on that next week). 

No comments:

Post a Comment